This drink is and very easy to make. Sol kadhi can be consumed as an appetizer just before meals, during meals with rice, or even as a digestive after meals. It is made from kokums which are soft and coconut milk and very popular in coastal regions of Maharashtra and Goa. ‘Sol’ is also known as kokum in Marathi. It is very good during summer heat as coconut milk has cooling properties. It tastes sour but there is also sweetish taste of coconut milk.
- 10 to 12 Soaked Soft kokums
- 2 cup Coconut Milks
- 1 Green Chilly
- 3 Fresh Garlic Cloves (optional)s
- 3 to 4 Coriander Leaves
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin Powder/ Jeera
- Sea Salt to taste
- Preparation: 6 h
- Cooking: 5 min
- Ready in: 6 h 5 min
- Soak kokums overnight in 1 cup water or 5-6 hours. If you do it for less time, it will still work.
- After soaking, squeeze the kokums in water.
- Strain the water and throw away the kokums. It will be dark pink colored water.
- Make coarse crush of green chilli and garlic by adding a pinch of salt.
- Roast cumin seeds for few seconds and crush it coarsely.
- In a bowl, mix coconut milk and kokum water.
- Add crushed masala and cumin seeds.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Heat a pan, add cumin seeds and crushed curry leaves. Dry roast both.
- Turn off the flame and Pour the tempering on Sol kadhi.
- Garnish with fresh green coriander leaves.
- Sol Kadhi can be served cold or at room temperature. Both are very tasty.